Thursday, December 27, 2007

Religious Hucksters and the First Amendment

I guess freedom of religion does have its limits, as far as Senator Grassley from Iowa is concerned. Sen. Grassley is going after six Christian television ministries because their message of health, and especially wealth, has carried over to the ministers living lavish lifestyles. Well, let's think about this. If I am a televangelist and I preach that God will make you rich if you have enough faith, then what would it look like if I am driving a Yugo and live in a rented flat? Are you going to believe my message? Of course not. In the secular world, one of the mantras preached far and wide is, "don't take financial advice from someone worse off than you are". These TV evangelists are just following the code.

Now don't get me wrong, those TV evangelists are nothing but snake oil salesmen (and women), promising magical and wondrous results for just $50 (or $500 if you REALLY want to be blessed). Their message is a distortion of the truth, has led many astray, and is a blatant exploitation of the poor. They are scoundrels, and the Bible labels them as false teachers that should be avoided. But when I read the evangelists were subjects of a Congressional investigation, it raised the hairs on the back of my neck.

In case Sen. Grassley has forgotten, I would encourage him to run down to the gift shop there at the Capitol building and pick up a copy of the Constitution and Bill of Rights. Now Senator, scan down the page to the First Amendment. It goes something like this: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, OR PROHIBITING THE FREE EXERCISE THEREOF(emphasis mine). That means that Congress has no business in what these televangelists preach or practice, no matter how offensive it may be. Our Government is not to be the judge of good or bad religion. That is exactly what our Founding Fathers were trying to prevent when they wrote the First Amendment. These TV evangelists make no bones about their message. "Send me money, have faith, and God will richly bless you. Just look at me. I wear Armani, drive a Bentley, and fly around in a private jet to go on $100,000 shopping sprees." If I am watching a so-called minister beg me for money while wearing a Mr. T starter kit, I am pretty sure where at least part of that money is going. Let the parishioner beware.

I know, it is unfair for them to take advantage of people like they do, and I can hear you saying, "Somebody has to do something about them." I agree with you. Somebody does. It is the proper place of the Church to proclaim the truth, and mark and avoid. Follow the biblical steps of Church discipline with them. If they refuse to repent, proclaim them to be outside of the faith. "What is bound on earth is already bound in heaven". Then truly mark them as false teachers. Let the preachers of the true Gospel stand up and proclaim their doctrines of health and wealth to be the doctrines of devils. Make sure to avoid them. Write your cable and satellite TV providers to drop their networks. If they refuse, cancel your subscriptions. In the end though, we must understand that those who have "itching ears" will be carried away by these false messengers. Pray that our Lord will keep us safe from the enticements of strange doctrines.

No comments: